HOW TO STRETCH YOUR SPORTS SPONSORSHIP DOLLARS TO GROW YOUR BRAND FAN BASE
With college athletics sponsorships at an all-time high of $1.24B during the 2017/18 season*, they’re clearly the place to be to grow brand awareness.
But, as the marketer responsible for your brand’s sponsorship allocations, have you often asked: Are we getting sufficient ROI for our sponsorship programs? How well are we driving activations? If this hits home, then consider going beyond the sports arena to immerse your brand in the yearlong college environment and more deeply engage with your brand fan base.
BOOST SPONSORSHIP ROI OUTSIDE OF THE STADIUM
Connecting with the college audience – before, during, and after the athletic season – can drive brand engagement to new heights. Extending your reach to moments beyond GameDay will keep your brand top of mind and give you needed flexibility to execute more targeted activation tactics, carry on two-way conversations, and garner 100% share of voice.
Messages and promos deployed on Game Day can be easily broadened to run throughout the college year. A strategy that encompasses all of college delivers opportunities to deploy detailed brand messages and product education, something that you can’t do when competing with the athletes on the field and other sponsors.
TIE YOUR BRAND TO KEY COLLEGE MOMENTS FOR MAXIMUM RELEVANCY
From the minute a high schooler receives an acceptance letter to the time he or she walks down the graduation aisle, key moments pepper the college experience. Life shaping events like prom, homecoming, exam time, and spring break deeply impact the 18-22-year old college student. Brands that build relevancy at these key moments will surely build lifelong loyalists.
COLLEGE STUDENTS WANT TO ENGAGE WITH MARKETERS THROUGHOUT THEIR COLLEGE JOURNEY
- Away from home for the first time, students make many first-time decisions and are highly receptive to new brand messages and special offers. Freshmen now shop for themselves, buying everyday items like groceries and toiletries. They also take on larger purchases like dorm, renter’s and auto insurance, electronics, and phones, and will take the time to find detailed product information and purchase incentives.
- Once indoctrinated into college life, confidence and independence builds, so college men and women become more involved and vocal with their brand decisions. This is an opportunity to leverage their engagement and show your brand relevancy in their lives. Improving their college experience and aligning with their values are critical success factors for all purchase categories.
- With college almost in the rearview mirror, graduating seniors prepare for the next stage of their lives as they shop for insurance, cars, career clothing, and household items. At the same time, they want to retain ties with their school, and are keen on school co-branded offers and exclusive deals. Think senior and alumni pricing plans, products, and subscriptions that carry their school or mascot’s logo.
GET DIRECT ACCESS FOR YOUR BRAND BEYOND SPORTS SEASON
With direct access to fans at 23 Division I schools and more than 770 campuses across the country, and in-depth data on their attitudes and buying behavior, Barnes & Noble College can offer fresh college marketing strategies for brand marketers.
Want to connect now with Gen Z consumers? We can get you immediate, direct access to 11 million Gen Z college students. Get in touch with us today.
IF YOU LIKED THIS ARTICLE, YOU MIGHT ENJOY:
- Attention Brand Marketers: Leverage these insights into Generation Z’s social media habits
- These brands made Gen Z’s top 10 list. Is yours one of them?
- Marketing Strategies to Align with Gen Z’s Confident Sense of Self